Easy Raw Vegetables:
- Grate cabbage and carrots and add a dollop of natural Greek yoghurt for a cool coleslaw or better yet try our ready made kimchi (fermented cabbage) which has the power to transform your gut health by reducing bloating and keeping you regular which in turn increases weightloss. Kimchi is a superfood which also contributes to fighting cancer, lowering cholesterol and improving mental & skin health. Kimchi is a daily staple of South Korean women who have flawless skin and the longest life expectancy in the world!
- A cup of dill pickles, regular or low sodium, contains just 17 calories and to add, vinegar contains acetic acid, which might play a role in weight loss. A study, published in Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition in 2015, found that rats that were fed acetic acid were more resistant to obesity than rats that didn’t get acetic acid. Vinegar might also help to keep food in your stomach for longer periods literally filling you up, and boosting satisfaction after a meal (according to a review published in Nutrition Reviews in 2014). The review also notes that vinegar might boost your calorie burn throughout the day, which makes it easier to burn more calories than you consume, resulting in weightloss. Pickling and bottling your own homemade gherkins will enable you to control the sodium and sugar content and couldn’t be easier. Sterlize your jar and gherkins with hot water, sprinkle with salt and add water, vinegar, spice and dill to the jar and leave for a couple of weeks until you have to urge to snack! You could also experiment with other pickled veggies eg beans, beets, cauliflower, asparagus or carrots.
- Add ready to use micro-greens and mixed sprouts to smoothies, salads, scrambled eggs and just about any dish really. They add crunch and elegance plus the health benefits of sprouts are numerous and include the ability to improve the digestive process and increase enzymatic activity which supports weightloss.
For a nutrient rich, quick smoothie:
- Use scrubbed, washed and chopped, frozen fruit smoothie packs to add convenience for an ice cold, fresh, nutrient laden smoothie at any time of the day. Blueberries are a great addition and have been proven to be powerful fat burners in multiple studies and are full of antioxidants. Strawberries in turn contain polyphenols that can stop the formation of fat in the body.
- Balance fruit with a fibre rich leafy green like spinach which helps to satiate you for longer. Beetroot is another ideal addition as they are rich in nutrients and antioxidants. Beetroot is also known to boost muscle power which elevates your work out to a whole new level!
- Add a healthy oil: Two teaspoons of coconut oil can aid in loss of belly fat. The fatty acids in coconut oil encourage your body to burn fat and provide quick energy to your brain and body.
- Add your powders: A teaspoon of cinnamon aids in relieving bloating and remedies water retention. You can also include super foods like chia & flaxseed which are high in protein, fibre, minerals and omega 3’s and help in increasing satiety reducing your need to snack often. Don’t forget to add collagen broth powder which is the foundation for strong connective tissue, sturdy bones and beautiful skin, as well as rapid wound healing and the easing of joint pain.
- You may also consider adding gluten free oats to make your smoothie more filling. Oats are rich in fibre, help you keeping full for longer and prevents cravings and binge eating.
Light meals & snacks:
- Use our ready made seasonal salad mix, packed with health boosting phytonutrients. With its vibrantly coloured edible flowers will be the talk of the table! Pair this with hormone and medication free smoked trout from the Midlands. Fresh water trout is a nutrient-dense protein rich food that offers a variety of health benefits, especially for the heart and brain. This fish is also a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids which aids in healthy ageing.
- Choose gluten free pita bread or gluten free wraps and fill with hummus and salads. A firm favourite is our ultra thin, gluten free pizza bases topped with tomato salsa, spinach, oyster mushrooms and sprinkled with luxurious greek feta (or try our vegan feta alternative which will not disappoint). For another quick and guilt free fix try low GI sourdough ciabatta bruschetta’s brushed with garlic and topped with salsa, hummus, or guacomole.
- Opt for healthy quick snacks like seeded crackers, or carrot, sugar snap peas, cucumber, gherkin and celery sticks with low calorie dips such as hummus, whipped almond ricotta, guacamole, or tomato salsa.
- Swap the dry wors and potato chips for blueberry biltong or protein rich roasted and salted edamame beans. Edamame (soybeans) are naturally gluten-free, low in calories, contains no cholesterol and are an excellent source of protein, iron, and calcium. Roasted Edamame is an all natural, great tasting, heart healthy snack you are sure to love! Enjoy it as a snack or toss in a salad or trail mix!
All of these guilt free ingredients are available from our KZN based, online store and whats more we will deliver them to your door! Just click on the green links above. Happy guilt free shopping!